• Do You Have an Automatic Right to Spousal Support?

You do not have an automatic right to spousal support.  In order to receive any support the court will take into consideration a number of factors provided in Family Code 4320.

  • How Long Do You Get Spousal Support For?

If your marriage was a short-term marriage (less than 10 yrs), you may get spousal support for half the duration of the marriage.  If your marriage was a long-term marriage (over 10 years), you may get support forever, unless you remarry or by further order of the court.

  • Can You Modify the Amount of Spousal Support?

In short, yes you can modify the amount of spousal support.  Even after a spousal support order is decreed, you can modify that amount by arguing that there has been a change of circumstance.  Changes of income or changes of marital status of the spouse receiving support are a couple examples of changed circumstances the courts will consider.

  • What To Do When Spouse Does Not Make Spousal Support Payments.

You have a number of options if your spouse fails to make spousal support payments.  Often judges will issue a wage assignment that will automatically deduct money from your spouse’s paycheck.  Again, it is best to speak to a lawyer personally.  They will better assist you once they know the specifics about your case.


To find Lead Counsel Rated Family Law Attorneys in your area, visit our site.  You may also search under practice area within your geographic location, or in another state.