We've all heard about rowdy barking dogs disturbing the peace in the neighborhood, or loud roosters crowing all morning.  But, it’s not every day we hear about the vulgar bird cussing out his neighbors.  It seems hard to digest, but you better believe that there is a bird out in Warwick, Rhode Island named Willy who cusses out his neighbors, landing his owner in some hot water.  This bird is not just any bird; it’s a pet cockatoo belonging to Lynne L. Taylor of Rhode Island.  And Willy isn’t cussing out just anyone he sees, but is directing his curse words at his neighbor, Kathleen Melker, the current girlfriend of Taylor’s ex-husband.

Apparently, Willy had been chirping out the word "whore" near Kathleen’s property.  Kathleen complained about the cussing cockatoo and Taylor got fined $15 in municipal court in violation of a Warwick city ordinance that “prohibits residents from keeping pets who create a habitual howling, barking or other noise.”

Taylor has now appealed the Judges ruling claiming that the noise ordinance is unconstitutional because it is too vague.  According to Taylor’s attorney, the ordinance “provides no parameters that let someone know if a pet's noise is a violation.”

My Initial Reactions:

  1. Why would Taylor spend money to appeal such a ridiculous case when she could have gotten off the hook with a measly $15?
  2. I wonder what her lawyers fees are for this appeal.
  3. This woman has too much time on her hands teaching birds swear words or this bird naturally has the mouth of a dock worker.
  4. Waste of taxpayer dollars and courts time.
  5. We never heard the bird testify- Unfair Trial?

What to Do if Your Neighbor’s Pet Is Too Loud:

  • Talk to your neighbor or write them a letter asking them to put a stop to their pet’s habitual noises.  Make sure to ask in a non-threatening manner in order to resolve the situation amicably.
  • If that fails, you may bring a nuisance lawsuit against your neighbor in small claims court.

Pet laws are city and state specific, so if you have a question, contact a local attorney in your area.  You can find additional information regarding noise ordinances at LawInfo.com’s FAQ page.