DREAMersTomorrow is a huge day for many young people who were brought to the United States by their parents and are currently in the United States without legal status. The Department of Homeland Security announced in June that it will stop seeking deportation for certain immigrants who were brought here as children, based on specific criteria.

Forms to File for Deferred Action

The forms to be filed for deferred action are:

  • I-821D, Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals
  • I-765, Application for Employment Authorization
  • I-765WS, Form I-765 Worksheet

There may only be two main forms to file, but there will be plenty of required documentation to file along with it.

Deferred Action Documentation

You may be excited to immediately file for deferred action as soon as it will be available, but do not do so without first obtaining all the required documentation and, preferably, consulting with a skilled immigration attorney.

Documents needed will include, but may not be limited to:

  • Proof you have lived in the United States for 5 consecutive years before June 15, 2012.
  • Proof you were younger than 31 years of age on June 15, 2012.
  • Proof you entered the United States before you were 16 years of age.

Deferred Action Background Check

You will undergo a background check so make sure you know and understand your criminal record, if you have one, before filing. The If you have ever been arrested, DO NOT file for deferred action until you obtain a legal consultation with an Immigration Attorney.

Deferred Actions Hopefuls – Use an Attorney!

DO NOT go to a Notario. There is a reason people go to law school in order to practice law, the law is complicated. No offense to well-intentioned people offering their services to deferred action hopefuls, but one slight misunderstanding of law could end with you in a bad situation and potentially facing deportation. Avoid potential problems and contact a Lead Counsel Rated Immigration Attorney today!