Many parents in a post-divorce situation find themselves in the unfortunate position of having to seek relief in court in order to enforce their rights as a co-parent.

Non-custodial parents in particular are often at the mercy of the custodial parent, in that they may be denied visitation with the child simply because the custodial parent controls the physical location of the child. If you are the non-custodial parent in this type of situation, know that you do have options.

If your former spouse is preventing you from seeing your child, you can seek relief of the court in order to:

  1. File petition in order to modify or clarify existing order, explicitly detailing the terms of visitation;
  2. Have the court order the exact number of days, and potentially even which days in particular, you are entitled to spend together;
  3. Have the court order how many phone calls you can have with your child;
  4. Have legally confirmed ability to access medical and school records.
Just because you are the non-custodial parent does not mean that you don't have rights regarding decisions to be made for your child. In addition to being able to see your child, you have the legal right to information regarding your child.

For more information about how to enforce your rights as a non-custodial parent, contact an experienced Child Custody Attorney today.