2 members of the United States Coast Guard were shot and killed at an air base off of Alaska Thursday. As a result, the FBI has launched a full fledged investigation and called for a lockdown of the base and nearby schools, according to Yahoo News.

Although the FBI believes that there is no evidence of terrorist activity involved in the shootings, the Bureau nonetheless issued a security alert because the reasons for the shootings are still unknown.

"Since we don't have all the details, we strongly advise that all Kodiak residents remain vigilant and report any suspicious activity to local law enforcement officials," said Captain Jesse Moore, the base commander at the air base on Kodiak Island.

"We are deeply saddened that we lost two shipmates. This is a rare occurrence, and we are going to do everything possible to ensure we find out exactly what happened."

Per usual, the Coast Guard declined to disclose the identities of the deceased because their families have yet to be notified.

The deceased's bodies were found at a communications facility on the Coast Guard Base Support Unit Kodiak. The base is approximately 250 miles southwest of Anchorage.

Authorities are still on the lookout for the at-large suspect.

The base serves as the headquarters for over 1,000 active-duty guardsmen and is the center for search-and-rescue missions in the surrounding region.

FBI spokesman Eric Gonzalez said that the FBI will steer the investigation, as is protocol when a death occurs at a federal facility. There was "no indication that this is related to any kind of terrorist act," he added.

The Alaska State Troopers will also aid in the efforts to find the assailant.

About 6,300 people live in Kodiak, the island's main town, meaning that nearly 1/6 of its population is housed at the base.

The aforementioned population statistics demonstrate the effect that 2 deaths will probably have on the area as a whole. A quiet island that many have never even heard of is now the subject of a federal investigation.

It is unfortunate however, that Kodiak has been thrust into the national spotlight under such tragic circumstances.

With the FBI and the local police guiding the chase in such a sparsely populated area it seems likely that the authorities should be able to find the suspect rather quickly.

That is if the suspect is still in Kodiak.

What do you think?