What Are Securities Laws?
A Security is an investment instrument. It includes investments such as stocks, notes, bonds, debentures, and investment contracts. To provide fair disclosure to investors, Congress enacted the Federal Securities Laws, which is administered by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). Under Federal Securities Laws, companies are required to give investors full disclosure of all material facts. Material facts are those facts that investors would find important in making an investment decision.
What Is Securities Fraud?
Securities fraud occurs when companies or individual executives and board members conduct themselves in an illegal manner. To prove fraud, a person must prove that a person or business intentionally or knowingly deceived another, causing damages. Securities fraud lawsuits can be filed in state or federal court. The Securities and Exchange Commission sometimes files lawsuits alleging securities fraud. Often, these lawsuits assert that fraud took place because the business did not follow federal law in the way that it collected money from individuals. Usually, if the case involves fraud, it means the business or executives misstated facts about the business, about how the money was used or about the likelihood of success the business would achieve.
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about Securities Laws
LawInfo.com offers answers to a list of frequently asked questions about Securities Laws, such as:
- What Is A Security?
- What Is 'Strict Liability'?
- What Are The Federal Securities Laws?
- What Do These Securities Laws Cover?
- What Is The Securities Investor Protection Act?
- Are There State Securities Laws?
- Are All Companies Subject To Securities Laws?
- If A Company Goes Public, What Must It Disclose?
The Role of a Securities Lawyer:
Some of the ways a Securities Lawyer may help you include:
- Advise investors regarding their legal rights in investing before considering an investment.
- Represent individuals and companies in both transactional and litigation capacities
- Help ensure that investors are in compliance with the applicable state and federal law.
- Help individuals and companies avoid hefty civil and criminal penalties
- Represent you through every step of the litigation process
Click to learn more about Securities.
If you have been the victim of Securities fraud, contact an experienced Securities Fraud Attorney today.
Bankruptcy – Business
Bankruptcy – Personal
Criminal Law – Appellate
Criminal Law – Federal
Criminal Law – State Felony & Misdemeanor
Drunk Driving Defense
Dumb or Weird Laws
2012 Meningitis Outbreak
Biomet Hip Replacement
Smith & Nephew Hip Replacement
Stryker Hip Replacement
Wright Hip Replacement
Intellectual Property Law
Labor & Employment Law
Landlord Tenant Law
Personal Injury – Defendant
Personal Injury – Plaintiff
Social Security Disability
Trending Searches#TBT #ThrowbackThursday constitutional law dangerous-products dangerous or defective products dumb laws estate planning Events that Changed History Family Law FAQ first-amendment Personal Injury - Plaintiff product-recall products liability random laws recall safety recall salmonella strange laws weird laws