A Florida woman named Kyah Green, 41, and her 19-year-old son named Luis Flores were arrested for stealing the identities of several celebrities. The list of celebrities targeted by this scheme included Kim Kardashian, Kris Jenner, Ashton Kutcher and Paris Hilton. According to a news source, a flash drive was found in their apartment that also contained “the personal financial information of public figures such as Tom Cruise, Michelle Obama, Mel Gibson, Beyoncé, Joe Biden and Eric Holder.”
How Did the Green and Flores Steal the Identities of Several Celebrities?
The duo apparently “contacted credit companies, pretending to be the celebrities.” Thereafter, they had the credit card companies change the addresses and phone numbers on the accounts. Finally, they got the credit card companies to ship replacement cards to their apartment.
Green and Flores are accused of wiring more than $70,000 to several bank accounts.
How to Avoid Becoming a Victim of Identity Fraud:
- Don't carry your Social Security card, passport or birth certificates with you.
- Place your name on “Do Not Call” lists
- Don't give any personal information to anyone on the phone or through the mail or Internet unless you initiated the contact.
- Ask the 3 major credit agencies, TransUnion, Experian and Equifax, to remove your name from the lists they sell to companies
- Secure your mail by placing a lock on your mailbox
- Make sure that your credit card companies do not solicit your information to third parties
- Consult with a local attorney
Click to read about helpful tips to protect your valuable information and to avoid becoming a victim of identity fraud.
What iI Identity Theft?
Identity theft occurs when someone fraudulently uses your personal information, such as your Social Security Number, credit card or bank account number, or other valuable identifying information for financial gain or criminal purposes.
Click to speak to a qualified identity theft attorney today.
You May Also Like...
Bankruptcy – Business
Bankruptcy – Personal
Criminal Law – Appellate
Criminal Law – Federal
Criminal Law – State Felony & Misdemeanor
Drunk Driving Defense
Dumb or Weird Laws
2012 Meningitis Outbreak
Biomet Hip Replacement
GM Ignition Switch
Gulf Oil Spill
Smith & Nephew Hip Replacement
Stryker Hip Replacement
Wright Hip Replacement
Intellectual Property Law
Labor & Employment Law
Landlord Tenant Law
Personal Injury – Defendant
Personal Injury – Plaintiff
Social Security Disability
Weird Law Friday