I’ve come across some very strange hunting laws while writing my “weird law” blogs. Here are some of the stranger hunting laws, some of which are still on the books. Enjoy!
- California: It is illegal to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle. However, it is legal to shoot at a game if the target is a whale. Breaking this law will result in a misdemeanor.
- California: It is illegal to set a mousetrap without a hunting license. I've been breaking this law since 1992.
- New Jersey: It is illegal for a man to knit during fishing season.
- Pennsylvania: It is illegal to catch fish using your mouth or your hands. Breaking this law would apparently result in a fine of up to $100.
- Texas: It is illegal for one to shoot a buffalo from the second story of a hotel. What about the third story?
- Montana: It is illegal to use trail cameras during hunting season. Apparently, these cameras are considered electronic aids, and using them is considered unethical hunting practices according to Montana officials.
- Pennsylvania: It is illegal to use dogs to track down your hunt.
- Idaho: It is illegal to fish on a camel’s back. So weird!
- Minnesota: It is illegal to tease skunks. Why would you want to tease a skunk?
- Montana: It is illegal for an unmarried woman to ever fish alone. Perhaps this law was enacted for the benefit of the men in Montana. They probably needed a guaranteed way to secure romantic dates such as fishing. Just kidding!
What do you think about these weird hunting laws? Are there any weird laws that you find interesting?
Bankruptcy – Business
Bankruptcy – Personal
Criminal Law – Appellate
Criminal Law – Federal
Criminal Law – State Felony & Misdemeanor
Drunk Driving Defense
Dumb or Weird Laws
2012 Meningitis Outbreak
Biomet Hip Replacement
GM Ignition Switch
Gulf Oil Spill
Smith & Nephew Hip Replacement
Stryker Hip Replacement
Wright Hip Replacement
Intellectual Property Law
Labor & Employment Law
Landlord Tenant Law
Personal Injury – Defendant
Personal Injury – Plaintiff
Social Security Disability
Weird Law Friday