I’ve come across some very strange hunting laws while writing my “weird law” blogs. Here are some of the stranger hunting laws, some of which are still on the books. Enjoy!
- California: It is illegal to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle. However, it is legal to shoot at a game if the target is a whale. Breaking this law will result in a misdemeanor.
- California: It is illegal to set a mousetrap without a hunting license. I've been breaking this law since 1992.
- New Jersey: It is illegal for a man to knit during fishing season.
- Pennsylvania: It is illegal to catch fish using your mouth or your hands. Breaking this law would apparently result in a fine of up to $100.
- Texas: It is illegal for one to shoot a buffalo from the second story of a hotel. What about the third story?
- Montana: It is illegal to use trail cameras during hunting season. Apparently, these cameras are considered electronic aids, and using them is considered unethical hunting practices according to Montana officials.
- Pennsylvania: It is illegal to use dogs to track down your hunt.
- Idaho: It is illegal to fish on a camel’s back. So weird!
- Minnesota: It is illegal to tease skunks. Why would you want to tease a skunk?
- Montana: It is illegal for an unmarried woman to ever fish alone. Perhaps this law was enacted for the benefit of the men in Montana. They probably needed a guaranteed way to secure romantic dates such as fishing. Just kidding!
What do you think about these weird hunting laws? Are there any weird laws that you find interesting?
You May Also Like...
Bankruptcy – Business
Bankruptcy – Personal
Criminal Law – Appellate
Criminal Law – Federal
Criminal Law – State Felony & Misdemeanor
Drunk Driving Defense
Dumb or Weird Laws
2012 Meningitis Outbreak
Biomet Hip Replacement
GM Ignition Switch
Gulf Oil Spill
Smith & Nephew Hip Replacement
Stryker Hip Replacement
Wright Hip Replacement
Intellectual Property Law
Labor & Employment Law
Landlord Tenant Law
Personal Injury – Defendant
Personal Injury – Plaintiff
Social Security Disability
Weird Law Friday