A former “Price is Right” model named Brandi Cochran won a lawsuit against the game show, claiming that she was “wrongfully terminated after seven years on the show because she left for maternity leave.” Cochran was awarded nearly $8.5 million by the jury.
However, Judge Kevin Brazile overturned that judgment and took Cochran’s award back after the defense’s appeal. The defense argued that “the Judge should have instructed the jury to determine whether pregnancy discrimination was a “motivating factor” in Cochran’s dismissal.” The Judge agreed with the defense’s argument.
The case is scheduled to continue on March 22.
Wrongful termination occurs when an employer fires an employee without legal grounds. There are many ways a person may wrongfully be terminated. These include getting fired in violation of a federal anti-discrimination law, getting fired in violation of a labor law, or getting fired in retaliation. If the employee prevails in their lawsuit, the fired employee is entitled to punitive damages and lost wages.
When Does Termination Violate Public Policy?
If your termination is a result of some retaliation or discrimination from your employer, then the termination may violate public policy. In that case, you may take legal action against the employer. Examples of terminations that violate public policy include:
- discrimination based on race, national origin, sex, pregnancy, religion, disability, age, marital status, or sexual orientation
- discrimination or retaliation for seeking a reasonable accommodation for a disability
- retaliation for taking a medical leave of absence
- retaliation for having complained to the employer, or to a government agency about the unlawful activities of the employer
LawInfo.com offers free information about the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and the right to receive maternity leave. Moreover, LawInfo.com.com offers a list of frequently asked questions about maternity leave such as:
- What Administrative Body May Impose Remedies For A Violation Of The Federal Family And Medical Leave Act?
- What Does The Federal Family And Medical Leave Act (Fmla) Govern?
- How Much Leave Am I Entitled To Under Fmla?
- How Is The 12-Month Period Calculated Under Fmla?
Click to speak to a qualified wrongful termination lawsuit attorney today.
Bankruptcy – Business
Bankruptcy – Personal
Criminal Law – Appellate
Criminal Law – Federal
Criminal Law – State Felony & Misdemeanor
Drunk Driving Defense
Dumb or Weird Laws
2012 Meningitis Outbreak
Biomet Hip Replacement
Smith & Nephew Hip Replacement
Stryker Hip Replacement
Wright Hip Replacement
Intellectual Property Law
Labor & Employment Law
Landlord Tenant Law
Personal Injury – Defendant
Personal Injury – Plaintiff
Social Security Disability